Saturday, June 25, 2011

Mod Podge Cereal Box Mail Holder

I finally had the opportunity to do some serious crafting today. My mom took my daughter for the morning so I could have some Me time. Here's part of what I did today:
I decided to use an empty cereal box as a mail holder because our mail is ALWAYS disorganized. Here's what I did!    
Thank you Quaker Oats for being delicious and for being empty so I can use you!


I took the box above and misplaced it, but David had finished his box of the Cinnamon flavor (some seriously delish cereal people) , so I used his instead.....

 And cut the top portion off.  Then, I took it outside and spray painted it white to cover the orange, lettering, fruit and cereal bits pictured.

Yep, it's on top of my Avon box. They make good desks when you are on the floor catching up on your tv shows ;)  

Then, I used some fabric scraps I had..... I found this prettiness at Walmart for $1, yay!
 This picture is a bit blurry, but will have to do.  I used Mod Podge to attach the fabric to the recycled cereal box.  Mod Podge is excellent. I have made many crafts with the aid of Mod Podge and it makes a great glue/sealer all in one.  I used a play dough rolling pin to flatten it out and then used one of those fake credit cards people get in the mail to completely smooth it out.  Then, I took it outside so it would dry quickly. While it was drying, I worked on various other crafts I had going and also made the sign for my mail holder. I used a small rectangle of black cardstock. I attached silver scrapbooking stickers that spell "mail" to the cardstock.  When the holder was dry, I used Mod Podge to attach the sign to the front of the holder and then did another layer of Mod Podge on top. I placed it back outside and went back to working on my 5.6 million other things I had going at the time (multi-tasking!).  Once the mail holder dried, I applied a clear spray sealant several times and allowed it to dry. Here is the finished product:




I think it turned out pretty cute! And, it will look nice on my shelf. Woohoo to a crafting project completed!
Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. This did turn out super cute - how handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the re-purposing....great idea....pretty too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea! Although I would have to use the Avon box it is sitting on for how often I go through my mail! :D

    ReplyDelete